Friday, February 9, 2007

Danger narrowly averted - Lost Passport in Santiago Customs

We passed through customs twice in Santiago - once on our arrival from Lima and again after Easter Island on our way to Iguassu. I was keeper of the passports and always put them in the same place in our travel pouches - well almost always... On the second time, we walk up the customs agent and I hand him my passport and reach into Amy's pouch for hers but its not there. There is a sudden panic as we check and recheck the pouch and the begin dumping out our pockets and carry-on bags on the floor searching for her passport. My heart was in my throat and we were both starting to get visibly agitated.

After about 5 minutes of searching, I look back in the pouch and find it sitting in the back pocket instead of the front one where I usually put it. The customs agent didn't seem to think it was a big deal and sent us on our way with a smile.

No comments: