Monday, January 29, 2007

Hiking to the Sun Gate

Yesterday the weather cleared up by 9am and turned into a beautiful day. We didn't get to see the sun rise over Machu Picchu as we had hoped, but it still turned into a spectacular day.

In the morning, we went to climb Hauyna Picchu, the steepest tallest peak next to Machu Picchu. It was a bit wet out still, and as we started down the path the anticipation really got to me. I bailed out and my fearless companion asked if she could go on without me. Leaving your girlfriend to hike up an imposing mountain when you are too afraid may have scarred me for life and is probably worthy of its own blog posting, so we'll leave that one for later. Amy went on without me (and has pictures to prove it) but that's her story so I'll let her write it later.

After lunch, we went to do the other big hike to some ruins called the Sun Gate. This is almost as high as Hauyna Picchu but not nearly as steep. To get there you start at the top of Machu Picchu and follow the Inca Trail up another X thousand feet.



A few parts were pretty dicey still, with a three or four foot stone path that dropped off thousands of feet with no guide rail or anything to hold on to.

It was a tough climb, and my shirt was soaked with sweat by the time we made it to the top. I don't know how Amy did both hikes in the same day - she is seriously hard core.

Finally to the top!

But it was worth it! The view of Machu Picchu from above is breathtaking.

You really feel like you are on top of the world as you look out and see the tops of mountains and clounds below you.

2 comments:

johnengler said...

man that looks awesome! I'm envious.

Unknown said...

That is absolutely stunning!